Nutella Glazed Chocolate Zucchini Bread. Is it a bread? Is it a cake? The method says it's a quick bread but it is so incredibly rich, moist and decadent it looks and tastes just like chocolate hazelnut cake. You decide.
I developed this recipe because I still had extra zucchini after making my Zucchini Pineapple Bread but wanted something a little more indulgent. I knew that shredded zucchini acts like mashed banana in banana bread to make it tender.
It's a bit early for hazelnut recipes but Nutella is in season all year long if you ask me!
I had a few hazelnuts in the freezer so they are perfect to sprinkle on top for a crunch to go with the silky smooth hazelnut glaze. Almonds would be yummy sprinkled on top, too!
Zucchini is available year round so this is perfect for gift giving during Christmas! I made the loaves below for one of Scott's closings (He's a mortgage guy).
Since zucchini is abundant in the summer, make some zucchini bread for Mothers Day, Fathers Day, 4th of July, and birthdays! I'd love to have a birthday cake made from this batter!
Zucchini is on sale in grocery stores this summer and is abundant in farmers markets. My squash plants in my garden look so good!
I overlooked one squash hidden under the huge leaves and when I discovered it, it was as big around as a baseball bat or bigger! I only used a portion of this squash to make a batch of this zucchini bread-shredded and froze the rest.
If you're a purist and not a chocolate-lover, try my Pineapple Zucchini Bread.
Other bread and squash recipes you may love
PIN IT FOR LATER
Nutella Glazed Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups shredded zucchini 2 medium to large zucchini
- 1/4 cup Nutella hazelnut spread
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon Nutella hazelnut spread
- 1 tablespoon half and half or whole milk plus 1 or 2 teaspoons, if needed
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted hazelnuts optional
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large paper plate or medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugars, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. I like to use a large, rimmed paper plate for the dry ingredients so I only have to wash one bowl.
- Whisk eggs or stir with a fork in a large bowl. No mixer needed for this recipe.
- Press zucchini between paper towels to pat dry, then add to the eggs in the bowl. Add Nutella, oil and vanilla and stir well. Add mini chocolate chips and stir well.
- Add dry ingredients to the zucchini mixture and stir until dry ingredients are moistened. Spoon batter into two 8x4-inch loaf pans or two 9x5 loafpans. Bake for 40 minutes for the 8x4 loaf pans and 50 minutes for the 9x5 pans or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean. Let cool 15 minutes in the pan on a wire rack.
- Remove bread from pan and let cool completely on a wire rack.
For Nutella Glaze, combine powdered sugar, cocoa, Nutella, and half and half or milk,
- stirring until smooth. Spoon glaze over bread, allowing it to drip over the sides; sprinkle
- with hazelnuts, if desired. Let stand 15 minutes before serving for the glaze to set.