Move over pecan pie! This Thanksgiving, I'm serving a new Southern pie on our family dessert buffet: Honey Roasted Peanut Pie. (I might even make it again for Christmas and 4th of July!) Think "pecan pie filling" with peanut butter traded for butter and honey-roasted peanuts traded for the pecans. I didn't forget the shortcut in this recipe, although it's already a simple and easy pie.
Don't have honey-roasted peanuts? Cocktail peanuts and even peanuts with the red skins on them will work just fine!
How I came up with this recipe idea
I was inspired to develop this recipe after attending the Farm-To-Table Peanut Harvest Tour in Dothan, Alabama recently. (Stay tuned for an entire blog post on the tour!) The tour was hosted by Southern Peanut Growers and Alabama Peanut Producers Association.
You can read the article that was written about the tour by Debra Davis, Alabama Farmers Federation here. She interviewed a few of us and I have a couple of quotes in it!
After experiencing the process of peanuts being harvested from the field all the way to a restaurants table as well as to a jar of peanut butter (my fave), and getting to meet the farmers that grow them, I came home excited to create a special peanut recipe for Thanksgiving.
My head was swimming with so many ideas. If you've read my blog post for Instant Pot Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake, you know I love peanut butter. So, it wasn't hard for me to come up with ideas for a peanut/peanut butter recipe. The hard part was narrowing them down to just one.
Honey Roasted Peanut Pie is what I landed on for my new Thanksgiving dessert recipe because they gave us all a can of honey roasted peanuts to snack on during the bus ride and I couldn't stop eating them!
They were sweet and slightly savory at the same time with an audible crunch with every bite. I could eat them handfuls at a time or savor them one at a time... You can see why they were still on my mind when I returned to Gardendale!
How to make Honey Roasted Peanut Pie
Here's what you need to make it:
How to make the crust with Pillsbury refrigerated pie dough
Be sure to let the refrigerated pie dough stand at room temperature a few minutes, first, according to package directions. This will help prevent it from "shrinking". Unroll it and smooth out the curled edges with a rolling pin or smooth cylinder shaped glass.
- Fold it in half. Pick up the pie dough and lay it in the pie plate.
- Unfold the pie dough and gently fit it into the pie plate; do not press too firmly.
- Turn under the part of the dough overhanging the edges about 1/4 to 1/2 inches all the way around. This is creating a thicker top crust for a better flute.
- Hold your thumb and forefinger like you are going to pick up something and place it on the inside of the top of the pie crust. Place your other forefinger on the outside of the pie crust and push it toward the "pinching" thumb and forefinger and pinch the crust around that forefinger. Continue this "push and pinch" procedure all the way around the pie.
Place the fluted pie crust in the fridge until you are finished with the filling.
How to make Honey Roasted Peanut Pie filling
It's best to start with room temperature eggs but not a must for this recipe.
- Whisk together 3 large eggs in a large bowl with a whisk or a dinner fork.
- Add sugar, light corn syrup and vanilla and whisk until the corn syrup is combined with the sugar and eggs.
- Microwave the 2 tablespoons peanut butter in a small dish for 20 seconds or just long enough to melt the peanut butter. Stir it into the filling mixture.
- Add the honey-roasted peanuts and give it a quick stir. Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust and bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or just until the center is set. Do not over bake.
Let the pie cool for at least 2 hours before serving.
I have a feeling I'll be making this sweet peanut pie not only for Thanksgiving but also for Christmas, family potlucks, summer reunions and backyard barbecues!
Other peanut or peanut butter recipes you may love:
Watch the video from WBRC's Good Day Alabama
Watch the video from ABC 33/40's Talk of Alabama
Honey Roasted Peanut Pie
- 1 refrigerated rolled up pie crust dough Pillsbury or Walmart brand
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cups honey roasted peanuts
- Let the rolled up pie crusts stand at room temperature a few minutes according to package directions. Don’t skip this step.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs in a large bowl until the white part of the egg is blended with the yolks. Whisk in the sugar, corn syrup and vanilla extract.
- Put the peanut butter in a very small microwave-safe bowl and microwave it on high for 20 seconds or just until it melts and pours easily. Whisk it into the filling mixture. Stir in the peanuts.
- Gently unroll the pie crust dough and smooth out the curled edges. Fit the pie crust dough in the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate. Using your thumb and two fingers, pinch the pie crust to flute the edges.
- Give the filling mixture a quick stir and pour into the fluted crust. Bake on the center rack for 45 to 50 minutes or just until the center is set. Let cool to room temperature, about 2 hours.