One of the healthy food trends for 2018 is the air fryer. There are many brands to choose from but they all cook in less time than the oven and with a fraction of the oil than frying. I borrowed a NuWave air fryer from a friend to try it out and was very happy with it.
Yes, they can warm up frozen french fries and chicken nuggets but apparently they can do so much more. According to Delish.com they can bake cinnamon rolls, fried pickles, bourbon burger and much more. You don't have to look further than your friend's Pinterest board to find a few more air fryer recipes because it was one of the hottest selling kitchen appliances this past shopping season.
Not all air fryers are the same. If you're wondering which air fryer is best for you, Reviews.com has done the research for you. Check out the reviews before you buy one.
Another healthy food trend you will see in 2018 is Indian spices including cardamom. Last year it was turmeric and this year cardamom enters the scene. My Indian Spiced Sweet Potato Fries has cardamom, cinnamon, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt. As a shortcut, you might be able to find an Indian spiced blend in a larger grocery store.
If you don't have an air fryer but still want to make these fries without deep frying them, bake them at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, turn them over with tongs, then bake another 10 to 15 minutes or until tender and lightly browned.
Watch my video segment on ABC 33/40's Talk of Alabama in the Mazer kitchen here.
If you like flavored, baked fries check out my Spicy Pommes Frites (Spicy French Fries).
Air Fryer Indian-Spiced Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut lengthwise into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Preheat air fryer according to manufacturers directions to 360°.
- Toss sweet potatoes in a large bowl with olive oil.
- Combine all the spices in a small bowl and sprinkle over the sweet potatoes.
- Place half of the sweet potatoes in the fryer basket and cook for 10 minutes. Remove them from the basket and keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining half of potatoes.