Creamy Jalapeño Pimento Cheese is the perfect spread for any occasion: football party, after school snack, lunch box favorite. This extra creamy version of the Southern cheese spread has just a little kick- but not spicy! Serve with crackers or make a sandwich.
Can't stand the heat? Just omit the jalapeños or make sure to remove all the seeds and membrane from the jalapeños. Want a little more? Leave in a few seeds.
I didn't grow up eating Pimento Cheese spread, but once I tried it when I moved to Alabama in 1989, it was love at first bite! Now, I am a self-proclaimed pimento cheese connoisseur. I like it with bacon, too...but then, I like anything with bacon.
Why is this Pimento Cheese so creamy?
Jalapeño Pimiento Cheese is extra creamy because I add a little more cream cheese and use a little less mayo than my Pimento Cheese with Fire Roasted Peppers. So, it has more cream cheese to Cheddar cheese ratio and less mayonnaise.
Can I use other cheeses besides Cheddar and cream cheese?
Yes! If you want to experiment and stray from the traditional Cheddar cheese, trade out mild cheddar with sharp, smoked, or white Cheddar. Really, any semisoft shreddable cheese like Monterey Jack, Colby Jack and Provolone. I don't recommend mozzarella because it lacks flavor...in my opinion.
If I'm watching my calories but craving the creamy goodness, I'll make it with 2% Cheddar, Neufchatel (lite cream cheese), and reduced-fat mayo made with olive oil.
Can I use pre-shredded cheese?
I don't recommend pre-shredded Cheddar cheese because it has potato starch and according to Kitchn, it often cellulose-derived from wood pulp. It is added as anti-caking ingredients. That's right!
When you are making pimento cheese, take a few extra minutes and shred your own cheese. It will "stick together" better, tastes better, and it's cheaper than pre-shredded.
Let me know your favorite way to make this iconic Southern treat!
Watch me make Jalapeño Pimento Cheese on ABC 33/40's Talk of Alabama
More snack and party recipes you may love:
If you make this recipe I'd love to see it! Tag me on social media with #gritsandgouda or @gritsandgouda. Leave a comment below the printable recipe if you have questions or tell me how you liked the recipe. Don't forget to rate it 5 stars if you love it!
Jalapeno Pimento Cheese
- 1/2 of an 8-oz package cream cheese
- 2 8-oz blocks mild or sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (not pre-shredded)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons chopped pimento from the jar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated or finely chopped sweet onion (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Shred the Cheddar cheese with a hand grater or with the shredder attachment of a food processor.
- Stir together all ingredients in a medium size bowl until all ingredients are incorporated.
- You can also use an electric hand mixer if you like the mixture to be even MORE spreadable. Spread on crackers for a snack or appetizer or between slices of bread for a sandwich.