The Best Simple Egg Salad Sandwich
Five basic ingredients is all it takes to make The Best Simple Egg Salad Sandwich. Chances are you have everything already in your fridge and pantry for this easy lunch recipe. Want to jazz it up or make it keto-friendly? I give you a list of additions and substitutions to try.
Servings: 4 to 6 servings
- 6 large eggs
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup mayonnaise (1/2 cup for extra creamy egg salad like in the picture)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
First, hard cook the eggs either in the Instant Pot or using the stovetop method. Here's my detailed instructions on How to Make Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs. See NOTES below to boil eggs on the stovetop.
Make the Egg Salad
Peel the eggs. Crack the eggs and roll around on the counter to help crack them.
Combine mayo, mustard, and salt in a medium-size bowl.
To save washing another bowl, mash the hard cooked eggs in the same bowl. If you prefer larger pieces of egg, chop the eggs on a cutting board. I use my favorite smooth potato masher. It's a little different than the larger ones and mashes everything evenly.
Simply stir the mashed eggs together with the mayo mixture. Serve immediately or cover and chill until ready to serve.
To make a sandwich, spread 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup on a slice of bread and top with another slice of bread. This recipe makes about 1 2/3 cups egg salad.
How to boil eggs on the stovetop method:
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat.
- Gently lower the cold eggs in the pan with a slotted spoon or tongs; partially cover the pan with a lid. Boil the eggs for 12 minutes with water at a rolling boil.
- Carefully transfer the eggs into a large bowl of ice water for at least 5 minutes.
- Tap the eggs on the large side on the counter roll around. Peel the eggs under running water.