Red & Green Freezer Jalapeno Pepper Jelly
Red & Green Freezer Jalapeno Pepper Jelly recipe is so easy to make! This is a 5 ingredient, small batch canning recipe for jelly that doesn't require processing in a water bath or pressure cooking.
Servings 5 half pints
- 12 large jalapeno peppers (enough for 2 cups minced)
- 1 large red bell pepper (enough for 1 cup minced)
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 5 cups granulated sugar
- 1 (1.75-ounce) package powdered Sure-Jell pectin (not MCP pectin)
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 drops red or green food coloring (optional)
Wash 5 half pint jars in soapy water, then sterilize them by submerging them in boiling water for 10 minutes. I use a small round wire cooling rack to lift them up slightly off the bottom of the pot of boiling water.
Wear gloves when handling jalapeno peppers and do not touch your face or eyes. Remove seeds and white membrane from the jalapeno and bell peppers.
Cut peppers into approximately 1 to 1 1/2-inch pieces. This will help the food processor mince the peppers evenly. (You can also mince the peppers with a chef's knife.)
Pulse the pepper pieces 3 or 4 times or just until minced. Do not puree!
Add vinegar to pepper mixture; stir in sugar and let stand 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, combine pectin and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil 2 minutes.
Gradually add cooked pectin to pepper mixture, stirring well. Stir about 3 minutes or until sugar is almost all dissolved. Stir in a couple of drops of food coloring, if desired. Using a canning funnel, or very carefully, pour pepper mixture into washed and sterilized Mason jars or 1-cup freezer containers.
Screw on the lids tightly. Let stand at room temperature 24 hours to fully set up. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 1 month or freeze up to 1 year.
If your jelly does not set up after one week:
1. Remake entire batch if none of it set up: Pour unset batch of jelly into a large bowl (no more than 8 cups). 2. Wash those containers and rinse in boiling water; thoroughly dry. 3. For every 1 cup of unset jelly, add 2 tablespoons sugar to the bowl of unset jelly. Example: 8 cups jelly; stir in 16 tablespoons (1 cup) sugar. Let stand 10 minutes. 4. Meanwhile, stir in 1 pkg powdered Sure-Jell Original into 3/4 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until a full rolling boil without stirring. Boil 2 minutes. 4. Pour the hot pectin mixture into the unset/sugar mixture. Stir at least 3 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. 5. Pour into washed containers, wipe rims with wet paper towel and seal with lids. Let stand at room temperature 24 hours before refrigerating.
Serving: 1tablespoon | Calories: 50kcal