Fruity Marshmallow Cereal Treats add a little color and flavor to the "oldie but goody" Rice Krispy Treats we know and love. Perfect for Easter or a Spring shower. Bonus: Gluten-free, potentially dairy-free, 4 ingredients, and made in the microwave!
This post contains affiliate links at no additional cost to you.
Just in time for Easter or a special snack to send in your child's lunchbox. Just substitute fruit-flavored rice cereal for Rice Krispies cereal. You probably have the recipe clipped in your recipe file somewhere or can Google it but I've made it easy for you and typed it up for you at the end of this post.
What is the shortcut?
It's made in the microwave instead of the stovetop!
Can I make this on the stovetop instead of the microwave?
My recipe uses the microwave for even quicker results but you can easily melt the butter and marshmallow in a large pot over medium heat and stir in the cereal.
To "gild the lily", melt white chocolate chips or Wilton white candy melts in the microwave and spread over the tops of the confetti-looking bars.
Can I make them with other flavors of cereal?
Yes! These chewy, crispy bars are have all the colors of the rainbow. My box of Fruity Pebbles actually had those crunchy marshmallows in them like Lucky Charms. Because they were on sale, I snatched them up. The next time Cocoa Pebbles are on sale, I'll make chocolate marshmallow treats and coat them in melted dark chocolate. Yum!
Are these cereal bars gluten-free?
This recipe is potentially gluten-free! Fruity Pebbles has announced their product is now gluten-free. Some marshmallows have a starch coating on them that are not gluten-free. Click here for a list of gluten-free marshmallows. Be sure to check your cereal box to make sure your cereal says gluten-free.<script
amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit0";
amzn_assoc_search_bar = "true";
amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "gritsandgou01-20";
amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "manual";
amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart";
amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon";
amzn_assoc_region = "US";
amzn_assoc_title = "My Amazon Picks";
amzn_assoc_linkid = "8bac39ad80cc754243c36c27bf9f5ef0";
amzn_assoc_asins = "B076ZV9MCV,B00GX5HKZO,B008H2JLP8,B00ESMAR4K";
Fruity Marshmallow Cereal Treats
- 1/4 cup butter (half of 1 stick) (coconut oil or ghee can be used)
- 1 10-oz package mini marshmallows (or 6 cups)
- 5 cups fruit-flavored rice cereal (Fruity Pebbles)
- 2 cups white chocolate chips or white candy melts (1 (11-oz) pkg) chips
- In a large microwave-safe glass bowl, add the butter and microwave, uncovered, on HIGH 30 seconds to melt the butter.
- Grease or coat with cooking spray a 13x9-inch baking dish or pan.
- Add marshmallows to melted butter and stir well. Microwave, uncovered, 60 seconds. Stir well just until the marshmallows melt.
- Add the rice cereal to the bowl of marshmallow mixture. Quickly stir just until all cereal is coated. Quickly spoon mixture into the greased dish and slightly press down the top of the mixture. You don't want to mash too hard so your bars will be light and fluffy. Let stand 20 minutes or until the bars are firm enough to cut.
- In a medium-size microwave-safe glass bowl, add the white chocolate chips or candy melts. Microwave on HIGH 30 seconds. Stir well. They will not be completely melted. Microwave an additional 30 seconds. Stir until chips are melted. Microwave an additional 15 seconds, if needed.
- Cut the cereal bars into 24 bars (6x4). Spread the melted white chocolate over the top of each bar. Let dry 10 minutes or until firm.