Add a little color and flavor to the “oldie but goody” rice cereal marshmallow treat recipe.
Just in time for Easter or a special snack to send in your child’s lunchbox. Just substitute fruit-flavored rice cereal for Rice Krispies cereal. You probably have the recipe clipped in your recipe file somewhere or can Google it but I’ve made it easy for you and typed it up for you at the end of this post.
To gild the lily, melt white chocolate chips in the microwave and spread over the tops of the confetti-looking bars.
These chewy, crispy bars are have all the colors of the rainbow. This box of Fruity Pepples actually had those crunchy marshmallows in them like Lucky Charms. Because they were on sale, I snatched them up. The next time Coco Pebbles are on sale, I’ll make chocolate marshmallow treats and coat them in melted dark chocolate. Yum!
Fruit-flavored rice cereal mixed with marshmallows and coated with melted white chocolate is the perfect colorful treat for Easter, Spring, or just a special snack in your child's lunchbox. I make mine in the microwave to save time.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows or 1 (10-oz) package regular marshmallows
- 6 cups fruit-flavored rice cereal (I used Fruity Pebbles)
- 2 cups white chocolate chips 1 (12-oz) package
1. Melt butter and marshmallows in a large microwave-safe bowl by microwaving it at HIGH for 2 minutes. Stir well then microwave 45 additional seconds. Stir well.
2. While marshmallows are in the microwave, coat a 9x9-inch square pan with cooking spray or butter. You can use a 13x9 but I like mine a little thicker.
3. Quickly stir the cereal into the melted marshmallows and spread evenly in the pan. Gently press down with a spatula. Let cool at least 30 minutes.
4. Cut into 9 rectangles. For smaller portions cut into 12 pieces.
5. Melt chocolate chips in a small microwave safe bowl 30 seconds at HIGH, then stir and microwave another 30 seconds, stirring until smooth.
6. Spread the melted chocolate over the tops of the bars or dip them in the chocolate. Let stand 10 minutes or until chocolate firms up.
For added color and fun, add confetti colored sprinkles to the white chocolate before it firms up on the bars.